[lbo-talk] death of a discussion list

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 08:57:11 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 10:42, Chuck Grimes <c123grimes at att.net> wrote:

> I attribute the slow down to multiple effects. Much of the world is
> stagnated into an intractible class war of vast and very depressing
> proportion.

<...>
> How many times can you write the same now boring topics.
>
> Instead of all that, I've been catching up on dark matter and dark energy,
> and tracking down the Dec 2011 Nobel in Physics, Saul Perlmutter, Brian
> Schmitt, and Adam Riess

Chuck,

Interesting to hear what you're up to. I'll have to check out this material. I've been working on writing on one of the same boring topics - but hopefully in a different light. I wrote a piece some people on the list might find interesting, on Cultural Studies and the way the politics of it as a disciplinary field were tied up with history, political economy, and the way the culture industries operated in the context of the time. There's absolutely no way for me to make it sound sexy to anyone who doesn't already care about it, but I think there is some relevant political, economic and cultural analysis in it. I would be interested in hearing what people on the list think of it.

http://bit.ly/zskdna

Also, possibly to the detriment of some future tenure proceedings, I published it on an open access platform just launched by the Cultural Studies Association. I think it may be too much coding for the platform to survive without loads of money supporting it, but for the moment it is pretty sharp. My favorite feature (on my article anyway) is the way the footnotes appear in the right margin when you mouse over the # in the text).

Comments welcome.

sean