[lbo-talk] death of a discussion list

martin schiller mschiller at pobox.com
Fri Apr 20 13:28:10 PDT 2012

On Apr 20, 2012, at 9:30 AM, // ravi wrote:

> Also of course each of us might use LBO for a different purpose, so there’s that.

Most of my pref's for the 'discussion list' format have been mentioned. Archives, threading, searchable. But this 'purpose' aspect, for me, is foremost.

I don't know how I ever got connected to the 'Bad Subjects' list, but it was the 'death' of Bad Subjects that prompted me to sub to LBO, and Pen-l for a while, and LP's Marxist list - looking for discussion that would put me in touch with that 'intellectual life' that I've heard mentioned here on occasion. A place where I could bridge, as Chuck poses it, "... the division between the educated elite and the broad mass of people who have even less time and remain a one inch deep prolitariat."

I don't know if LBO has ever risen to the level that I was searching for after BS, but then, it was more of a search for me than a discovery. For me, the end of LBO would be a significant loss.