[lbo-talk] compare and contrast

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Mon Apr 23 06:40:35 PDT 2012

But you don't make interpretive arguments. 99% of the time you just string quotations together.

I applaud Ted's use of quotes from Marx. Marx can speak for himself in no other way now that he's dead. On the other hand, there are lots of people claiming to speak as Marxists who say things and take interpretive positions which Marx repudiated in the 19th century. Frankly, that burns me up. Sure fine, if you disagree with Marx's position on this or that and you say so in your own words, no worries, mate. Ted himself has indicated disagreements with Marx in his own words; but to my knowledge Ted hasn't done anything to distort Karl's intent or arguments.

Mike B)

----- Original Message ----- Joanna wrote:

> I wonder what life form Marx would have assigned to those who are unable to communicate except through quotations from Marx.
>
> It is both irritating and profoundly depressing.

The texts I quote are a necessary part of the interpretive arguments I'm making.

The arguments can't be communicated without them.

As for Marx, I assume he would expect readers to make a serious attempt to understand what he meant.  How else could they manage to determine if what he meant was true?