[lbo-talk] Philadelphia School District announces its dissolution

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Apr 26 08:58:48 PDT 2012

Parents & students make VITAL allies -- _allies_. Defense of teachers is the struggle around which and through which all other concerns must be grasped.

But there is a real problem here. In reference Doug's head-on dismissal of "fucking" anarchists: it can't be done. They are whether we like it or not, central for the time being to leftists struggle, and Lenin explained why: Anarchism is the price the working class pays for its sins of opportunism.

And unfortunately the sector of the working class that is at (or should be at) the forefront of the current working-class struggle, namely, the teachers, are almost universally following creepily opportunist leadership. I hope there are other exceptions, but the only exception of which I am aware is the Chicago Teachers Union, which has elected a radical leadership. And they are seeking and finding allies among parents and students. Or, rather, parents and students are finding allies in the Chicago Teachers Union. They may go on an illegal strike next month, though I haven't seen anything on that lately.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of michael yates Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2012 10:19 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] Philadelphia School District announces its dissolution

Here is a good article on the Philadelphia situation and on the hypocrisy of people like Al Sharpton. Meanwhile, Pennsylvania is planning more prison construction. The governor also wants to dismantle public higher education. http://blackagendareport.com/content/why-isnt-closing-40-philadelphia-public -schools-national-news-where-black-political-class

I agree that teachers have to be defended. But parents and students make good allies. The teachers' unions have a pretty sorry record of allying with communities and cutting deals with all sorts of scoundrels. And teachers are not always supportive of students either. This makes the political situation complicated. ___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk