[lbo-talk] Switching Sides

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Apr 28 08:38:29 PDT 2012

At 05:57 AM 4/28/2012, Michael Pollak wrote:

>On Apr 23, 2012, at 8:04 AM, Jim Farmelant wrote:
>>
>>Well, the esteemed moderator of this also moved from the right to the left.
>
>Actually, since he was a precocious high school Marxist, Doug performed
>the extremely rare "left-right-left B4 UR 20" maneuver.

i had one of those as well. when i learned about marxism in a high school history class in 9th grade I thought it sounded perfectly reasonable to me and asked, "So what's wrong with that?" From there, I recall reading around, trying to understand more, picking up on anything that seemed to be leftish. Campaigned for some libertarian at some point, at the behest of a high school friend (from family of republicans), mostly as something to do and hang around people post-high school who had more scintillating conversations that I was apt to find while parked on a barstool at the local watering hole, which was all there was to do at 18 in that town. i was swiftly back in lefty mode once i decided to take a class a local college where I got my fill of two asshole libertarian types who taught polic sci and public policy, but also where I hooked up with lefties working on plant closing legislation, the extension of unemployment bennies, etc.