[lbo-talk] Switching Sides

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Apr 28 15:07:47 PDT 2012

The bay area is great for counter culture stuff, alternative medicine, ethnic dance, and organic farms. And this is great.

But socially, it's very weird. There's enough space for people to insulate themselves both physically and -- I don't know what the word for it is -- but it's like you can create this space where you can pursue whatever you're interested in and never run into any cross currents. The auto culture greatly exacerbates this. If you want to experience what is possible daily on a subway ride in NYC, you have to create an encounter group.

Any of this makes sense? We've got fantastic weather and gorgeous terrain. It's spring/autumn three hundred days a year, and I swim outdoors every day. Hard to give that up. But I fantasize daily about moving to NYC for every reason except weather and landscape. In Cali everyone things I'm uncomfortably intense; in NYC, people just think I'm normal.

Joanna