[lbo-talk] renewable energy

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 22:46:51 PDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 3:58 PM, <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
> You've lost me. According to the article, it is cheaper for these people to use than kerosene or the other sources.
>
> ???

Exactly. For rich people who buy electricity in larger quantities, fossil fuel electricity is still cheaper. But because in really tiny quantities fossil fuel based electricity is super expensive per kWh, for really poor people who use really tiny quantities of electricity, solar is cheaper. Not disagreeing with the article - just pointing out a paradox of economies of scale and poverty - that the largest group for whom solar is undeniably cheaper than fossil fuels are really miserably poor people.