[lbo-talk] Post- philosophy philosophers

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Aug 5 17:55:56 PDT 2012

I think rather that modern science depended on the antecedent removal of the gods from the universe by Christianity (and Islam). Once it's thought that the universe runs according to laws imposed by God/Allah from outside, as it were, it's possible to examine the working of those laws, as you say, dispassionately.

The Devotio moderna and late medieval mysticism are perhaps better understood as cultural artifacts of the break-up of the medieval mode of production and its attendant intellectual optimism. It's hard to see either of those related (but hardly identical) phenomena as having much to do with science. Galileo e.g. would have the most tenuous of connections to them.

--CGE