[lbo-talk] Post- philosophy philosophers

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Aug 5 18:28:12 PDT 2012

McCabe writes in the tradition of Thomas Aquinas, who takes it for granted that - as he says in the prologue to the Summa theologiae - “We cannot know what God is but only what he is not.” God and the universe do not add up to two. (Two what?)

"[Aquinas] never thought of God as an entity seriously comparable to what we find in the Universe. He took God to be the cause of everything real and imaginable to us, the cause of all natural kinds and their members, the reason why there is something rather than nothing. Aquinas, of course, realized that when we talk of God we are forced to make use of words we have come up with to name and describe what we find in the world in which we live.

"...Aquinas was equally keen to emphasize that God is not a creature, not a member of the world, not a being among beings, not, in this sense, an existing thing. God, he says, 'is to be thought of as existing outside the realm of existents, as a cause from which pours forth everything that exists in all its variant forms'. For Aquinas, there is a serious sense in which it is true to assert that God does not exist. He would readily have agreed with Kierkegaard’s statement: 'God does not exist, he is eternal.'"

--<http://payingattentiontothesky.com/2011/02/14/aquinas-proves-atheists-are-closer-to-god-than-they-think/>