[lbo-talk] Intellectual property rights, free trade, and free markets

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Aug 9 07:03:23 PDT 2012

No social system is a game with rules established beforehand. Society simply is, and it is erroneous to speak of it as either logical or illogical. In the last few millennia humans have become more conscious of their condition but spontaneously we all see social relations as simply _given_, not generated by some recipe that we can criticize. Competition and monopoly are not at all contradictory because they are not propositions but merely what is.

And we have real difficulty in arriving at an understanding of what is, either in human history or in the cosmos. Our difficulties in arriving at a coherent valikd theory are no evidence for incoherence in reality. Capitalism is/was not the result of a blueprint made out in advance, and whining about its contradictions would only be valid if it were the result of such a blueprint.

Carrol