[lbo-talk] blog post: A Fan Letter to Alex Cockburn

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 17:31:38 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 5:39 PM, michael yates <mikedjyates at msn.com> wrote:

> Full at http://cheapmotelsandahotplate.org/2012/08/09/a-fan-letter-to-alex-cockburn/
>
> "I first corresponded with Alex Cockburn in 1986. An article of mine titled, “South Africa, Anti-communism, and Value-Free Science” had appeared in The Chronicle of Higher Education and created a stir. One of the irate letter writers was Sidney Hook, the philosopher and former Marxist turned ardent right-winger. Among other things, Hook said that he couldn’t imagine how such a fool as I had been granted tenure. After reading Hook’s (dis)missive, I wrote the following to Alex, addressed to him c/o The Nation:"

I happened to have Corruptions of Empire from the library when he passed. He seemed a lot mellower then. The funniest bit so far is How to be a Foreign Correspondent, whence the quote "fire volley after volley of cliche into readers' densely packed prejudices". I thought it barely showed its age from the mid-80's (the copyright of the book), it turned out to be written in 1976.

-- Andy