[lbo-talk] Fwd: [New post] Crackdown on Occupy Probably Not Organized by the Obama Administration

Nicholas Roberts nicholas at themediasociety.org
Wed Aug 15 22:15:19 PDT 2012

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: "Corey Robin" <comment-reply at wordpress.com> Date: Aug 15, 2012 8:18 PM Subject: [New post] Crackdown on Occupy Probably Not Organized by the Obama Administration To: <nicholas at themediasociety.org>

**

Corey Robin posted: "Last fall, you might recall, there was a big debate on the left about whether or not the Obama administration and the Department of Homeland Security had ordered the crackdowns on the Occupy protests throughout the country. Naomi Wolf was perhaps the m" Respond to this post by replying above this line

New post on *Corey Robin* <http://coreyrobin.com/author/coreyrobin/> Crackdown on Occupy Probably Not Organized by the Obama Administration<http://coreyrobin.com/2012/08/15/crackdown-on-occupy-probably-not-organized-by-the-obama-administration/> by Corey Robin <http://coreyrobin.com/author/coreyrobin/>

Last fall, you might recall, there was a big debate on the left about whether or not the Obama administration and the Department of Homeland Security had ordered the crackdowns on the Occupy protests throughout the country.

Naomi Wolf<http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/nov/25/shocking-truth-about-crackdown-occupy>was perhaps the most prominent exponent of the claim that the crackdowns were organized/coordinated/ordered/directed—the specific allegation was always a mosh pit of roving verbs and changing charges—by the feds. I took the opposite position<http://coreyrobin.com/2011/11/27/the-occupy-crackdowns-why-naomi-wolf-got-it-wrong/>, pointing out that political repression in the US tends to be decentralized and local.

I'll admit I haven't been following this particular issue much since then, but this latest report<http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/08/14/obama-administration-advised-police-to-not-arrest-occupy-protestors/>suggests I was right. Focusing mainly on the crackdown in Portland, it provides evidence that if anything the Obama administration urged restraint on local police forces. As one administration official says in an email:

The arrests last week were carried out despite our request that protesters be allowed to remain and to camp overnight.

I'm not entirely certain about the accuracy of these reports (the whole issue seems to be a political football<http://judicialwatch.org/press-room/press-releases/general-services-administration-with-the-blessing-of-the-obama-white-house-tells-law-enforcement-to-stand-down-and-not-enforce-the-law-against-occupy-protestors-a/>between liberal partisans and conservative opponents of the administration.) So read them carefully.

But let's be clear: saying that the crackdown of Occupy was not coordinated or organized by Obama hardly means it wasn't repressive. As the dwindling fortunes of the Occupy movement suggest, it was—and almost lethally so.

But to understand how and why that repression was so effective, we have to revise our notion that somehow centralized power is automatically more coercive and repressive than decentralized power. As I wrote last November:

It’s not surprising that faced with the crackdown of OWS protests, Wolf would immediately turn to a theory of national, centralized repression. It’s part of our national DNA, on the left and the right, to assume that tyranny works that way. We’ve inherited a theory that holds, in the words of the Yale constitutional law scholar Akhil Reed Amar, that “liberty and localism work together<http://books.google.com/books?id=ia-B5dXoWKEC&pg=PA123&lpg=PA123&dq=%22liberty+and+localism+work+together%22&source=bl&ots=K8wUwHnO2d&sig=QlXBg6Ntree1lwSqU_2wjWDPvgQ&hl=en&ei=0f3STt_gA6He0QG3n9AN&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22liberty%20and%20localism%20work%20together%22&f=false>.” Nothing...could be further from the truth.

*Corey Robin <http://coreyrobin.com/author/coreyrobin/>* | August 15, 2012 at 11:18 pm | Tags: crackdown <http://coreyrobin.com/?tag=crackdown>, Naomi Wolf <http://coreyrobin.com/?tag=naomi-wolf>, Occupy Wall Street<http://coreyrobin.com/?tag=occupy-wall-street>, political repression <http://coreyrobin.com/?tag=political-repression>, Portland <http://coreyrobin.com/?tag=portland> | Categories: The Left<http://coreyrobin.com/?cat=19882>| URL: http://wp.me/p1FPJG-IK

Comment<http://coreyrobin.com/2012/08/15/crackdown-on-occupy-probably-not-organized-by-the-obama-administration/#respond>

See all comments<http://coreyrobin.com/2012/08/15/crackdown-on-occupy-probably-not-organized-by-the-obama-administration/#comments>