[lbo-talk] UK threatens to storm Ecuadorean Embassy, kidnap Assange

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 11:00:08 PDT 2012

 I wondered about that too. UK is just as big a lap dog of the U.S. as Sweden if not more so. Does it have something to do with agreement between the two countries. Those who provided bail for Assange are taking a big hit too. I wonder why he did not go to Sweden. If the situation is as he describes than it would be a huge vindication for his own supporters and provide a great opportunity for protests. However, perhaps he is wise not to set himself up for a possible death penalty. Assange is no jihadist!    The whole things seems to be a farce. There are no charges against Assange. Swedish authorities were welcome to question him in the U.K. and then lay charges.

Cheers, ken   Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html

----- Original Message ----- From: Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Cc: Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:38:51 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] UK threatens to storm Ecuadorean Embassy, kidnap Assange

I have mixed feelings about this.  Why has this whole thing reached such a hysterical level?  On the one hand, threatening to storm an embassy puts the UK on a par with Iran.  But on the other hand, I do not think that the UK offers any greater protection from the alleged extradition to the US than Sweden - the refusal to go to Sweden for the fear of extradition does not quite pass the smell test.

-- Wojtek