[lbo-talk] UK threatens to storm Ecuadorean Embassy, kidnap Assange

John Wesley godisamethodist at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 15:02:42 PDT 2012

There was also the family of  Pentacostalists that were forced to stay in the besement of the US Embassy in Moscow for several years during the '70's.

El pueblo armado jamas sera aplastado!

________________________________

From: Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:42 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] UK threatens to storm Ecuadorean Embassy, kidnap Assange

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:36:12 -0700 (PDT) John Wesley <godisamethodist at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Let's not forget that there is another precedent for Britain's
> violating of diplomatic immunity where improper disclosure of state
> secrets was involved.
> >
> > In 1940, Britain did just that in the case of Tyler G. Kent, a code
> > clerk at the US Embassy in London.

Not quite the same: the American ambassador waived Kent's diplomatic immunity so the Brits could arrest him at home.

In the Assange case, the Brits would apparently have to violate the embassy's extraterritoriality, which would be a Big Deal, though at this point, no gangsterish imperial enormity on the part of America's Favorite Lapdog could possibly surprise me.

The whole business ironically reminds me of that Hungarian cardinal -- Mindszenty? -- who spent decades in the US embassy in Budapest. Sovs never went in and pulled him out; but they were relatively civilized people, unlike the Brits and their masters.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com http://cars-suck.org/

For my part, I abominate all honorable respectable toils, trials, and tribulations of every kind whatsoever.