[lbo-talk] UK threatens to storm Ecuadorean Embassy, kidnap Assange

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 00:09:26 PDT 2012

On 17 August 2012 07:04, Gar Lipow <gar.lipow at gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually under the Vienna convention they have to have an unusually good
> reason.

Which Article are you referring to?

> Think of the all the cases where other nations have NOT done this

That's not a legal principle though. And besides, it works both ways. I can think of a lot of cases where nations have NOT granted asylum in more egregious cases... that has nothing to do with the validity of the case at hand.

> Incidentally, the whole "we arre
> obliged to Sweden to do this" did not seem to apply when Spain wanted
> Pinochet.

I'm not sure the two are really comparable. Pinochet occurred before the European Arrest Warrant came into existence and involved questions of the immunity of heads of state. Assange is a fundamentally different matter, occurring in a different legal framework.

> Again though Embassies put people out of reach on their own territory all
> the time, as the U.S. did in China as recently as this April.

And again, that doesn't make it a rule of international law that they are entitled to do so without response from the host country.

> I don't agree with those who sneer
> away the rape investigation, but it is pretty obvious that it is being used
> as an excuse to turn Assange over to the U,S. for torture.

I would say it is conceivable, but far from "obvious".

Anyway it seems to be a moot point, as it's just been reported (on my radio anyway) that Britain is now saying they won't enter the embassy, but just won't give safe passage.