[lbo-talk] UK threatens to storm Ecuadorean Embassy, kidnap Assange

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Aug 17 06:50:48 PDT 2012

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 06:19:45 +0100 Wendy Lyon <wendy.lyon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, what they'd have to do is strip the embassy of its diplomatic
> status, which they're entitled to do as the host country.

Wouldn't that be tantamount to breaking off diplomatic relations entirely? Not a rhetorical question; you clearly know more about this than I do.

Even if they did that, they'd be obliged to let Embassy personnel leave without molestation, wouldn't they? Of course Assange's status would be ambiguous in that case.

Has any country ever done anything like what is apparently being contemplated here?

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com http://cars-suck.org

For my part, I abominate all honorable respectable toils, trials, and tribulations of every kind whatsoever.