[lbo-talk] UK threatens to storm Ecuadorean Embassy, kidnap Assange

John Wesley godisamethodist at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 17 13:05:12 PDT 2012

Maybe the Embassy should put him into a disguise when ferrying him out to the airport.   (Supposedly, the KGB used that trick when dealing with walk-in spies that came to the Soviet Embassy in Washington). Mike G.

El pueblo armado jamas sera aplastado!

________________________________

From: Wendy Lyon <wendy.lyon at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Friday, August 17, 2012 2:28 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] UK threatens to storm Ecuadorean Embassy, kidnap Assange

On 17 August 2012 13:08, Gar Lipow <gar.lipow at gmail.com> wrote:

> "The premises of the mission shall be inviolable," reads the convention.
> "The agents of the receiving state may not enter them, except with the
> consent of the head of mission."

Yes, as long as the premises has mission status. That Article says nothing about needing a good reason to revoke mission status (nor, of course, does it define a good reason).

> If the nation can simply  revoke diplomatic status arbitrarily that clause
> would become meaningless

No more so than diplomatic immunity of mission staff is meaningless simply because the host country can arbitrarily terminate it by declaring them persona non grata, at any time and for any reason. The Convention is explicit about that - and yet countries don't tend to exercise this power lightly, either.

I'd also cite this Article in response to your later argument, that countries usually aren't allowed to assert rights which would effectively nullify treaties.

> But the
> fact other nations don't just arbitrarily revoke diplomatic status of
> Embassies even when it is in their self-interest  to so indicates some sort
> of fear of setting a long term precedent.

That's exactly my point. It's the concern about precedents, and the principle of reciprocity, that prevents countries acting arbitrarily to revoke status - not the fact that they are legally prohibited from doing so.

>> No, though I quoted the relevant passage. But it certainly is supporting
> evidence. At least one expert on international law quoted in the above link
> seems to disagree with you.

I don't actually see any quotes from him in that article that disagree with me.