[lbo-talk] UK threatens to storm Ecuadorean Embassy, kidnap Assange

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 14:25:57 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:23 PM, Wendy Lyon <wendy.lyon at gmail.com> wrote:

The British could declare him persona non grata and order his
> appointment terminated.

They could order an appointment to the UN terminated? Even if it were something London-specific - say, permanent representative to the International Maritime Organization? I'm in over my head here, but I find it hard to believe that a host country can veto foreign diplomats appointed to international organizations. Could the US, for example, boot to Syria's UN ambassador out of Manhattan?

> He'd only have immunity in relation to his official UN duties.

But that doesn't seem like much of a hurdle as long as there's any London connection to be found.