[lbo-talk] UK threatens to storm Ecuadorean Embassy, kidnap Assange

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Fri Aug 17 16:30:35 PDT 2012

It is one thing to oppose capitalism, but in the context of a capitalist economic system, the capitalist political state is a necessity. And a police force is also a necessity in that context. The capitalist system is the law of the jungle, economically. The social conditions it creates require the state to maintain some semblance of order. The rule of law is the best that can be hoped for in a class society, to oppose it on principle is to advocate arbitrary and capricious authority.

As for opposing laws against inciting violence and oppression against certain classes of people, I reject that also. Such incitement cannot be tolerated and those who incite hatred should be locked up.

Julian Assuange has not actually been accused of any crime anywhere that I am aware of. Likely the USA legal system would be able to concoct something, if they could get their hands on him. Which is why Assange is so desperate to avoid being anywhere near the jurisdiction of the USA legal system. A classic example of why the rule of law is a preferable form of legal system in a capitalist society. Not so long ago, when the rule of law still prevailed more or less in the USA, that state was a refuge for dissidents of all sorts.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas