[lbo-talk] The closing of American academia

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Aug 21 10:05:33 PDT 2012

The guild system analogy is inexact.

1. Graduate students receive no mentorship from older/more experienced faculty members. Except, sometimes, for male grad students. They get paid like apprentices, but they are not taught/guided as apprentices should be.

2. The guild system implies a gradual emancipation/progress to master status, but currently, a lot of degree holders enter the lectureship circuit and can never find a way to advance to a tenure-track position.

3. Tenure track positions have been dwindling over the years and are currently under attack as a whole.

4. In my generation there were tuition/fee waivers for grad students after you finished class work. Then they were phased out. This was at UCB.