[lbo-talk] The closing of American academia

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Aug 21 14:14:01 PDT 2012

Dennis Claxton writes:

>> It's getting harder to go to college; but what's the deal
>> with looking at PhD students to try to make the point?
>
> Because it would be better if "times of exceptional growth"
> in education you mentioned were ongoing?

Symptom vs disease?

"They are drowning public education; just think of the poor PhD students!"

...?

The Subject: line here is "The closing of American academia" ... is there really any chance that this is a significant issue? Did "American academia" flourish during the expansion of community colleges?

The main point that was made in the article was that PhD students in the US are being exploited by universities. Ho-hum.

I think this is a totally different issue from whether more people should go to college ...

/jordan