[lbo-talk] Back and forth

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Aug 21 19:40:02 PDT 2012

As for grad school, it was pretty much the same problem. Where were the perspective classes, all the techniques that I so admired in painting. where were the courses in the actual craft of painting---really simple stuff like how to set up a palette and coordinate a set of colors, all the brush techniques, how to make oil mediums, varnishes, safety practices. Nada. I was supposed to learn all that on my own time.

---

Yeah. This is inexcusable, but perhaps explainable by the move from craftsmanship to modernism/abstraction and everything it implies.

It's like if you know content then you're a loser or something.

Joanna