[lbo-talk] Faulkne, Absalom Absalomr

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Aug 21 20:30:47 PDT 2012

I've been listening to a recording of Absalom, Absalom. Listening is not the same as reading prose of this quality; one does need to see it on the page. But even in this form, the book is bowling me over! I reread As I Lay Dying and The Sound and the Fury the year before I went blind. They are powerful texts, but Absalom, Absalom must be one of the most 'densely packed' novels in English. I've never read any criticism of Faulkner and all my reading of his books was in the '40s & '50s. I'm having some trouble in getting hold of this novel. Can anyone on this list give me some help?

Tentatively, it seems to dramatize the fragmentation of historical understanding, the way it comes to us in bits & pieces and we struggle to put it together. With all due respect to a very great novel, War and Peace, Faulkner understands historical knowledge better than Tolstoi did -- he (or his narrator) was much too confident that he had grasped "history" as it "really was." Faulkner sees the flimsiness of that.

Any other readers of the book here?

Carrol