[lbo-talk] Mark Ames on Pussy Riot

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 22:29:47 PDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:06 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Aug 21, 2012, at 11:09 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:
>
>> So the church is legitimating the status quo. And this is unlike what the church does in every other state?
>
> Putin is using Orthodoxy in an underhanded way, drawing on its dissident cred from Soviet days. They're fucking with that.

For the record, I also found the piece interesting, if only because it makes the Western support for PR almost counter productive - especially by people like Madonna. It has been weird to see their meme take off. There may be reactionaries in every culture, but it is important for Western audiences like the one Ames is addressing (though I'm still perplexed by the forum and its muscular subscription policy) to note that the resistance to (and the movement itself) Pussy Riot is far broader than the oppressive Putin bad guy vs three girls in the trial.

That and I liked hearing that Ames is swapping email with the guys from FNM. Always nice to get that kind of gossip - and Ames frequently delivers.