[lbo-talk] Cloud computing sucks

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 13:46:17 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM, <lbo4 at beyondzero.net> wrote:
> Here's the perspective on "cloud" from someone (me) who works in IT
> at a manufacturing corporation:
>
> "Cloud" as marketing is not really aimed at you. Well maybe Dropbox and
> Google Drive count as cloud, since glorified file sharing/sync'ing is
> branded as iCloud by Apple.

Do not forget the cloud is also aiming to the end-user, ie removing apps from your PC and running them on the cloud, hence Google Docs or MS Office 365 instead of MS Office or Apache OpenOffice. Or in the most extreme scenario, "Chomebooks" with Chrome-OS. http://t.co/XzzuVgju

In that area is where I think "the browser as the OS, your apps in the cloud" is a bad bad bad idea.

If apps source code is not available, I want my apps on my local machine, thanks very much. Yes, for some uses (mostly storage in the cloud and easy accessibility from any machine) GDocs makes some sense. But I´d prefer if the apps were either open source or if I had control of which version I want to run, and not be force-fed "upgrades" I don´t want.

The cloud concept "per se" is not bad, if you´ve got tons of upstream bandwidth, and access to those apps source code. It´s just the model of "closed source apps on the cloud" that I oppose with a passion.

FC -- During times of Universal Deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto Revolucionario - George Orwell