[lbo-talk] A PR disaster: Five views on Pussy Riot's war

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 11:39:57 PDT 2012

Ravi: " I find blanket freedom of speech a mostly libertarian idea that can be criticised on those grounds"

[WS:] I agree - freedom of speech is an abstraction that can be used to many different ends, so one needs to watch those end to support or oppose this abstraction.

However, I do not think you need the freedom of speech argument in case of PR. A simple question whether the crime justifies the punishment will do. I think is pretty non-controversial too.

I do not think that anyone would seriously argue that two years in prison is a just punishment for saying things. In most such cases apology and maybe community service will do. The fact that they got *any* prison term is a clear indication that this is an act of revenge carried out by the state apparatus - and as such is deplorable regardless of its relation (if any) to freedom of speech. If anything it is the principle of excessive, cruel and unusual punishment that has been violated here.

As I already said on this list, I think that the explanation is a revenge for offending sexist attitudes deeply embedded in the Russian society. For that reason alone I think that PR are worth support of any progressive person, regardless of what one thinks of their shtick or what the bourgeois media have to say on the subject.

-- Wojtek