[lbo-talk] :Re: Lenin would support Pussy Riot

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 21:00:16 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 2:21 AM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

But when someone is sent to prison on a disorderly conduct
> charge someone is damn scared.

Not in a legal system with maximum sentences that are much steeper. I know this is hard for many Western leftists to believe, but not every society aspires to our (very theoretical) style of liberal democracy.

> And it is both absurd and offensive to
> condemn (or praise for that matter) _any_ tactic in abstraction from
> particular conditions.

You're probably right that it's "absurd" to waste one's time thinking about matters of petty criminal law in a faraway country. And as Karlin notes, "According to my rough tally, a stunning 70 per cent of The Guardian's articles on Russia this past month - almost all of them uniformly uncritical - were related to Pussy Riot." Absurdity abounds.

As for "offensive," it seems that when morality absconds, sins multiply. :-D