[lbo-talk] Intellectual property rights, free trade, and free markets

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 07:30:54 PDT 2012

> (I've really gone off the deep end in the last month or so. Tonight I
> am reading the Foreward to Grundrisse, the Penguin edition. I'll
> probably only read Marx's Introduction chapter and spot read here nad
> there.)
>
> CG
>
> ^^^^^
> CB: I can tell (smiles)

-------------

Good. Yeah, Trotsky just blew me away, like I was 20 or something.

^^^^ CB: Now in this state of mind ,take a look (second look ?) at the movie _Reds_, and you'll never come back from the deep end.

Arise ye children of starvation ! Arise ye wretched of the Earth !

^^^^

Just don't read the coda of what happened to him, his two wives, and all his children. By the time he was murdered, he had one wife and one grandaughter left.

I am sorry to report that the Intro was very tedious. Marx is bootstraping a three part dialectic of the production, distribution, consumption cycle in the Hegelian manner. I didn't like this technique or mode of argument in Hegel so... I mean I got it after the first few paragraphs, but the technique seems to require an endless repetition, where each cycle creeps further forward, like a tank spinning its tracks in the mud.

^^^^^ CB: Turning an object around and around, upside down. Looking at it from many different angles ?

^^^^

This really is a sketch book of exercises, with a few real nuggets. now and again. They are worth the find, but I am not sure about the search..These usually occur in this section after the long dialectic argument and the break to find an insight into the layer `below' where he starts writing about the capitalists...

I am not sure any of it would make sense, if I hadn't read the first half of Capital.

Taking a break to clean up the apartment and work on cooking helps.

CG