[lbo-talk] Climate change and elections

Eleutherios eleutherios.rizooto at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 20:36:16 PST 2012

There's a piece in Rolling Stone about TV weather presenters as denialists. Some are meteorologists, many aren't, and those that are rarely posses advanced degrees or are/ever were practicing scientists. Among those with some meteorological background, the "broadcast meteorology" (Mississippi State University is a major player) degrees are specifically designed with hard science removed. RS importantly also goes into structural reasons why climate change is discouraged being discussed, even when one understands science and admits anthropogenic global warming. http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/forecasting-denial-why-are-tv-weathercasters-ignoring-climate-change-20121205

FAIR did do some work on it: http://fair.org/take-action/action-alerts/global-warming-silence-on-sunday-tv/

http://www.fair.org/blog/2012/11/06/yes-you-can-talk-about-climate-change-on-tv/ http://www.fair.org/blog/2012/11/05/worst-media-moment-on-hurricane-sandy/ http://www.fair.org/blog/2012/11/01/howd-you-like-that-hurricane-we-made/

I can say that the papers/presentations at the ongoing AGU Fall Meeting in San Francisco http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2012/ are foreboding. Scientists are extremely concerned as uncertainty on the overarching stuff has all but evaporated. Substantial warming, with 4 °C very likely and 5 °C quite possible is coming, with massive disruptions to civilization such as severe cuts in food production (e.g. 27% decrease in rice production, 42% decrease in irrigated wheat --this is coincident with rising demand and accounts for areas that will increase and decrease production), coastal flooding, and increased extreme weather, as well as environmental destruction such as mass extinctions (the rate of extinctions, already elevated 100-105% above background, will rise another 10-100%, with one study finding 10% of global species going extinct for each 1 °C in warming). Paper after paper is coming out showing warming at the high end (or above) of projections across various subdisciplines.

4-6° of warming is utterly out-of-kilter with natural history https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/2000_Year_Temperature_Comparison.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/Holocene_Temperature_Variations.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/ca/EPICA_temperature_plot.svg/2000px-EPICA_temperature_plot.svg.png

as is CO2 concentration http://climate.nasa.gov/system/content_pages/main_images/evidence_CO2.jpg