[lbo-talk] Michigan labor law (Was: December 7)

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 05:43:45 PST 2012

On 2012-12-08, at 2:35 AM, andie_nachgeborenen wrote:

> Big Auto and the UAW have a close, even a friendly relationship. I don't think the automakers could run their companies without the unions.

But doesn't the legislation take direct aim at union security by relieving employers of the obligation to checkoff and remit dues? If workers covered by a union contract aren't required to pay dues in exchange for its benefits, you get increasing numbers of "free riders" and the union gradually withers and dies. As you know, it's a stealth way of deterring or destroying unions in all so-called "right to work" states.

The remaining big employers like the autoworkers who continue to tolerate unions do so because they cannot arbitrarily bust them, and because they help ensure labour peace and, in today's unfavourable conditions, are prepared to accede to demands for concessions. But I doubt the Big Three would do anything to help the UAW maintain itself in their plants if they are no longer required to do so by law - not in the absence of wildcat strikes, sit-ins, and other forms of class conflict which forced them and other big manufacturers in the 1930's to accept the union shop and the institutionalization of industrial relations.

But perhaps there's something in the Michigan legislation which is not as sweeping an attack on union security as I expect.