[lbo-talk] How US taxpayers are paying the Pentagon to occupy the planet

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 13:43:33 PST 2012

Here is a good piece by my friend David Vine

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/12/20121213122226666895.html

How much does the US spend each year occupying the planet with its bases and troops? How much does it spend on its global presence? Forced by Congress to account for its spending overseas, the Pentagon has put that figure at $22.1bn a year. It turns out that even a conservative estimate of the true costs of garrisoning the globe comes to an annual total of about $170bn. In fact, it may be considerably higher. Since the onset of "the Global War on Terror" in 2001, the total cost for our garrisoning policies, forour presence abroad, has probably reached $1.8 trillion to $2.1 trillion.

-- Wojtek