[lbo-talk] Collective idiocy....

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 08:27:59 PST 2012

Dennis: "Guns is how, not why"

[WS:] It is more complicated than that. In a culture where guns and epic stories glorifying their use are not in abundant supply, one would be far less likely to come up with a scenario involving shooting people you dislike or envy. Jack Katz ("Seductions of crime") provides ample evidence of narratives inspiring real life crimes.

Chuck: "The Robert story is my way of understanding these fancy places with semi-rich people, their weird families and the kids who get a glock. Somehow these places are toxic. It really is a sociological mystery."

[WS:] I do not think it is a social class thing. My wife who runs an ED program in a so-called "ghetto school" has plenty of cases like that. It is not sociological mystery but rather a neuro-psychological one. Pervasive developmental disorder (aka "autism spectrum") is caused more by functioning of the brain than by upbringing. My wife told me numerous stories about kids adopted into nurturing families and ending up in the autism spectrum nonetheless.

The only social class aspect of it is how these people land - those with the upper-middle class background end up in $40k per year residential settings or in tea-parties, while those with the lower class status - in the streets or in prison.

-- Wojtek