[lbo-talk] Collective idiocy....

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Dec 17 11:30:39 PST 2012

I have to admit I have a hard time understanding psychopathology in a way that avoids talking about the "normal" activity of war, or colonialism, or even capitalism. Think for example of the scene in Third Man when Orson Wells (a war-time profiteer) justifies his behavior by telling an old school chum as they ride a carousel into the heights: he points to the diminishing people on the ground and says, "Look at those dots. Imagine each dot is worth eight thousand pounds."....or something like that.

I watched "All Quiet On the Western Front" last night and was reminded of the thin distinction between some versions of normal and psychopathology.

(Overall, I was underwhelmed by the movie though. I think "King and Country" and "Paths of Glory" are much better WWI movies)

Joanna.