[lbo-talk] Collective idiocy....

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 09:33:13 PST 2012

Marv: "By extension, the fight for any kind of reform is pointless - whether in regards to gun ownership, exploitation, inequality, homophobia, sexism, racism, climate change, freedom of expression and inquiry, imperialist wars - since these issues can't be satisfactorily resolved under the present system of social relations"

[WS:] I do not think this accurately reflects my position. I argued that any sensible ban on gun ownership will face very powerful resistance not just from the usual suspects (NRA et al.) but also from the male population that sees gun ownership as a fetish of their power. Exploitation, homophobia, climate change etc. have not been turned into fetishes of power, so changing them is not likely to be perceived as an act of emasculation of the male ego. In other words, there is far more that needs to be done in this respect that overcoming powerful lobbies. Lobbyists are, after all, rational and will compromise when faced with a force majeure. Male ego is not and it will resist even the most reasonable attempts to shield the public from its excesses. And if you think that this problem is limited to white males, I suggest that you pick up a police blotter in any major city, take notice who shoots whom, and then think again. It is not a race problem, it is not even a class problem, but it is a MALE problem. Wet dreams of power and gun ownership epitomizing this power unites males of all races and classes in the US.

As to your position of shifting the burden of gun ownership on the owners, careful background checks, etc - you have my vote. We do it for any other type of ownership - cars, homes - and it crazy to exempt guns from these requirements. I happen to think that firearms of any kind have no place in a civilized society - those who want to shoot for practice or kill animals for pleasure can be given access to weapons only while performing these activities - and then these weapons can be securely stored in a supervised facility. I think it would make everyone safer, including prevention of shooting by the police. As I see it, cops shoot first because they know there are plenty of armed nuts out there who will not hesitate to shoot if given a chance. Shooting by police is another deadly consequence of the wide spread gun ownership in the US.

I find it very peculiar that the SCOTUS that insists on literal interpretation of the constitution, has decided to totally ignore the phrase "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State" in the second amendment. Literal interpretation my ass. These clowns are stooges rubber stamping whatever powerful monied interests put before their noses.

-- Wojtek