[lbo-talk] Collective idiocy....

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Dec 18 10:31:15 PST 2012

Wojtek writes:

> I find it very peculiar that the SCOTUS that insists on literal
> interpretation of the constitution, has decided to totally ignore
> the phrase "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the
> security of a free State" in the second amendment.

You believe gun ownership is completely unregulated in the US?

You can differ on what the meaning of "well" is in this context, but gun control in the US has not been completely ignored. There's a whole cottage industry of lawyers around to try to figure out where the myriad of gun control laws overlap and/or conflict. Guns are way more regulated in the US than cars are.

One thing that a lot of people miss is that plenty of existing gun laws are broken in the course of breaking other laws, and are simply not prosecuted due to the severity of the other charges. As a for instance, Adam Lanza's possession of a hangun is a felony in CT due to his age, but, had he survivied, it's unlikely that this charge would be made. Many of the citizens of my fine city who are brought up on felony assault charges are often not charged with possession of a gun by someone on probation.

And on.

Want a full list of who cannot possess a firearm in California?

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/prohibcatmisd.pdf

For me, that seems pretty well regulated.

/jordan