[lbo-talk] Collective idiocy....

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Dec 18 15:03:53 PST 2012

I think that what's more interesting than all the speculation about why this happened is the responses to what happened. One of the reason why Freud was interested in the edge cases was that he said that the people he studied simply exhibited, in more obvious ways, the very same psychic processes we all experience. They help us understand who were are and why we act the way we do.

As you say below, most people responding are doing so from this feeling of helplessness. Everyone who has a kid ounderstands what you're saying here - and has felt the very same feelings. You saw it in Obama's emotional response: that coulda been my kid. I can remember some horrible tragedies happening when my son was little. The feeling is still with me, today, many years later: that hated feeling that, as much as you want to control what happens to them, you can't. And so you have to, daily, put it out of your mind. I've always thought that one of the reasons why people respond so strongly to these events is that they'e, for so long, repressed this daily horror, that the repressed comes back with a vengeance.

And still... what irritates me about the response on facebook is the agony of the victim's innocence. And yet ... 5000 people have been murdered in Chicago since 2001 - as a result of gun violence. Little children are killed daily - due to the policies that the united states government pursues - often knowing that the end result is the death of children. The outrage is mostly absent. Most of the people on Facebook, lighting digital candles and passing around glurgey stories of heroism or nasty mean arguments about how its all because we took god out of schools ... these are not people who would get so upset about a kid on the south side of Chicago or in Pakistan - let alone were the victims of a bullet a grown adult. Oh, that! Well, that's poverty - and we all know poverty is the fault of people who don't work hard. Or, it's about drug deals gone wrong. Or gang violence. Whatever it is, it is somehow traced back to a lack of innocence.

But this, happening to good people in the suburbs, white people - well, this, is just horrible because, wham!, out of the blue, for no reason, they are shot to death. Which, of course, makes everyone think about themselves, their own kids, their own families, their own kind. They see themselves buffeted by a fate that they seemingly can't control. They can't pull up all the benefits of being white, middle or upper-middle class (or at least wielding the markers of such existence) and protecting themselves from the winds of that shitstorm

There's that good old American individualism expressing itself there, no? The outrage and horror is about innocence. But these were innocent children, is the cry. What kind of metaphysics of innocence and guilt is this? Why do we, even as lefties, cling to it. Why is it more inexplicable to go after innocent 6 year olds than it is to go after movie theater goers or shoppers at a mall or people at church or women and doctors at abortion clinics? Or randomly pick off people in the suburbs of Washington DC?

The other thing I find disturbing about some forms of left cultural analysis -- it's this weird, I dunno, weird desire, need, demand even that u.s. culture be the worst, most disgusting, most awful, most sick one there ever was. Why? Because it is evidence that capitalism is horrible. Since capitalism is the worst here, then we must find everything about every part of it - bad.

It is explanation for how powerless the left is, to boot. People don't rise up because they watch too much t.v., or play too many videogames - or whatever. This sort of analysis needs to find this horror to justify itself. To find anything wonderful out there, thriving under capitalism, would be a horror.

It kind of reminds me of that faction of lefties who rub their hands as an economy tanks. Woooo. World's going to hell in a handbasket. Finally, stock brokers are jumping from windows. Finally, the privileged shits in this country will get their's. They will finally suffer under capitalism and, as a consequence, they will finally rise up and get rid of capitalism. As I've said here before, I can remember a lefty professor telling me to stop campaigning for Jesse Jackson. Better to let Reagan win. That way, he'll give the working class what they want and give it to 'em hard.

It is a sadistic attitude: people can only change if they are punished. LEt Reagan flush the country down the toilet, he said, and maybe finally something will change.

I get that same sense form the doomsdayers wringing their hands over the supposed depravity of u.s. culture. It's like this weird desire to find depravity everywhere because somehow a depraved u.s. culture is vindication of a left analysis. And an even weirder sense that the person doing the analysing either 1. participates in none of it; is far too above it all to, say, engage in masculinity for instance; Or 2., participates in it but nevertheless gets a great deal of satisfaction out of posturing as one who pariticipates in it, but in the right kind of way and who can, therefore, be special interpreter. that's what creeps me out about the cultural analysis of the exile crowd.

It reminds me of that creepy form of cultural analysis from Dinesh D'souza. Here, white people, let me explain people of color for you.