[lbo-talk] Collective idiocy....

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 11:24:47 PST 2012

Jordan: "Ok, final point: in the US "gun crime" is almost exclusively simply "violent crime" and it's the violence that's the outlier in the world, not the gun part. I'm all for talking about why the US generates outsized populations of violent criminals, but it's just not supportable that a significant contributing factor is availablility of guns."

[WS:] Agreed. I think I stated that earlier. My point is that easy access to gun increases the probability of lethal outcomes of violent acts, not that it causes these acts in the first place. I also said that even in the absence of social factors (such as propensity toward crime) increased availability is bound to increase the number of deaths due to purely chance events (like someone accidentally mishandling the weapon).

As to the final point, I really think you are barking at a wrong tree.

I never suggested a ban on weapon ownership - I suggested stricter regulation, meaning ease of access, special handling requirements, and restricted access to public places. I think that is a sensible position aiming to protect public safety at a reasonable cost that most reasonable persons would accept.

-- Wojtek