[lbo-talk] Meanwhile in Pakistan

Bill Bartlett william7 at aapt.net.au
Wed Dec 19 19:30:06 PST 2012

At 12:18 PM -0500 19/12/12, Wojtek S wrote:

>It is irrelevant to those who make those claims, not to me. As you
>say, there was an American plot to take advantage of polio
>vaccination. So what? Do you think it justifies, in any way,
>islamofascists assassinating health workers? Do you think that they
>would behave any different if the claims of an American plot turned
>out to be untrue?
>
>I really do not understand why US lefties take position that in effect
>exonerate Islamic terrorism, if not being overtly sympathetic to it.
>It is not the first time the left finds itself with its head up its
>ass - French commies used to praise Pol Pot as he was slaughtering
>thousands. US lefties used to praise Mao as he was persecuting
>thousands of teachers, writers, artists and intellectuals during the
>Cultural Revolution. What is it? A childish desire to cut off one'es
>nose to spite one's face? Let's face it, the fact that the US decides
>to go after some murderous barbarians does not turn the latter into
>heroes. So let's look at the situation as it is, rather than through
>the lenses of the US-centered politics - these folks are barbarous
>murderers that need to be hunted down and killed, no ifs, no buts, no
>excuses.

Geez Woj, I wasn't praising the Taliban, or exonerating their terrorist slaughter of health workers. Just reminding you that the Taliban claim that the Polio campaign in Pakistan was an American Plot to spy on the Taliban was not without some basis in fact.

The Taliban of course are a bunch of murderous lunatics. It actually upsets me considerably to have to point out that their accusation is not a complete paranoid fantasy, but (given the American's recent record) a plausible suspicion.

I still much prefer the damn yankee imperialists over the feudal religious fanatics of the Taliban, but neither side are nice or honourable people. Yes, they need to be hunted down, but insisting they be hunted down and murdered is over the top. It doesn't help at all to behave like the barbarous murderers you claim to be fighting.

If anything, it is likely to make people side with the Taliban. Look at it from the point of view of someone who simply wants a civilised world - on one side are the Taliban, a bunch of murderous fanatics who spring from a mediaeval society with the technology that implies and are confined to some mountains in Pakistan and Afghanistan. And in the blue corner is US imperialists, who have the most powerful military force the world has ever seen.

If both are proud to be barbaric murderers, which one is the most dangerous and hence the most imminent threat? You see why the USA better start acting like civilised people again, rather than ranting and raving about hunting down and killing people they don't like. Let alone actually doing it, and worse.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell tas