[lbo-talk] Collective idiocy....

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 13:07:12 PST 2012

Indeed. One thing mentioned in relation to that scatterplot data was that the US was way ahead of the heard in terms of guns per 100 people. But comments here point out that this is per capita, which skews when the issue is that there is more of a culture here of a small group of people (4.2 million?) having a large number of guns per person, which then skews the rest of the the numbers. I don't know how that scatterplot takes this into consideration and I don't have the energy to trace the permutations this conversation has taken over the past few days. I thought for a brief moment, there was a glimmer of clarity or agreement, but then even I was convinced there might still be something to talk about here.

I've just noticed how the highly emotionally charged conversation about gun control and shooters and mental health - and just the CT shootings in general seems to have captured the cultural attention at precisely the moment that Obama starts rolling out his nasty little safety net cuts. It's hard to pay attention to the argument for one measure of inflation over another in indexing benefits when they are burying children. Gun control, however vital a conversation you believe it to be, is taking a lot of oxygen from what should be a full on push against the looming and far more deadly austerity that could be coming our way.

Funny how that works.