[lbo-talk] Collective idiocy....

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 08:43:06 PST 2012

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Andy: " I start noticing the
> eagerness among some to be ready to kill people (God forbid), and a
> thousand other neglected pastimes beckon."
>
> [WS:] I suggest you read Jack Katz "Seductions of Crime"
> http://articles.latimes.com/1989-03-05/books/bk-86_1_jack-katz

Certainly a lot of the attraction to shooting is the combination of zen focus, instant gratification, and destructive power. But I don't think there's a lot of criminal thrill at work, and the appeal of domination doesn't bother me per se -- there are plenty of mostly harmless ways to do that. What spooks me is the combination of habituation to the idea of killing somebody -- complete with silhouettes for desensitization -- and the fantasy at work, whether in anticipation of the zombpocalypse or more sympathetic desires for security. Military and law enforcement combine the former with professional training and a tight lid of rules and oversight, at least before fact. We have a hard enough time getting people to drive safely, and I'm supposed to trust their blithe amateur confidence with guns?

-- Andy