[lbo-talk] Collective idiocy....

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Dec 21 16:12:40 PST 2012

Marv writes:

> The residents of black and hispanic ghettoes, as the communities
> most affected by America's lax gun laws ...

You have got to be kidding me. You think that there's a linkage between "gun owner" and the folks who are responsbile for 90% of the non-suicide gun homicide in the US? You think that people who, upon reflection that they need a gun and will likely be called upon to use said gun in the comission of a violent crime, say: dang, these waiting periods are really bumming me out!

More specifically: the vast majority of gun crime in the US is carried out with illegally acquired guns. Gun laws in the US do not -- and would not, given even the wackiest of proposals out there -- address this segment of reality.

You may think the current laws are lax; you may think they are already too strong ... but what isn't in dispute is that these laws one way or the other would have any bearing on the criminal enterprise that by its nature demands the support of violence to "succeed" ...

> tightening the gun laws is worth fighting for if it would promise
> some measure or relief.

Well, I can help you right there: it wouldn't promise an iota of relief. The epidemic of criminal activity that uses extreme violence as its support line is as impacted by gun laws as it is by alternate side of the street parking laws.

/jordan