[lbo-talk] Collective idiocy....

andie_nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 24 14:00:21 PST 2012

Their shooting each other contributes to a long term reduction in the crime rate too. True, you have an extra murder. But one less potential or actual murderer. So perhaps the solution is to widely distribute guns and ammo among the criminal class and hit them with real stiff mandatory minimums if they get caught.

Yeas we have a crime problem. As everyone here knows, the most likely perpetrators of violent crimes are not Mr Stranger Danger, your friendly neighborhood Psychopath, or even gangbangers and drug dealers. They are your family and friends, specifically your husband or boyfriend. (Violent crime is an overwhelmingly young male pastime.) The presence of guns substantially increases the likelihood that domestic disputes will escalate from screaming to shooting; being armed makes it much more likely that you will be a victim of violent crime; and, leaving aside the technical fact that suicide is widely illegal, the presence of guns makes it much more likely that a depressive episode will lead to suicide or attempts at suicide.

So guns are not part of the solution. They are part of the problem. To the extent that we have a crime problem, widespread gun ownership exacerbates it. All of this is familiar ground. It's basically incontrovertible, which is in part why the NRA casts its rhetoric in terms of rights, damn the consequences. Of course it lies about the consequences too.

Sent from my iPad