[lbo-talk] A view from the left on gun control

Jason Hecht jayhstata at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 20:59:59 PST 2012

Doug -

Not sure if you saw my other post calculating the total cost of putting an officer in every public school in the nation (probably around $7.4 Bill. per annum).

Here's another thought: how much time, money, and effort would it require so that every principal (or AP or other staff person) had to be trained to kill a school intruder? I mean teachers are already burdened by the NCLB mandates and testing "standards," now let's add after-school target practice? And what happens when there is an accidental discharge due to a curious kid wondering why the gun rack was left unlocked? And here's something else: every time a gun is used it has to be oiled and cleaned. You can't do a rush job and that takes time. What happens when the task of "armed protector" is assigned to a not very conscientious principal or teacher who does a crappy cleaning job which results in a misfire accident? Not sure if the Pentagon keeps stats on deaths from noncombat weapon discharges, but I know in WW II this was a big deal among infantrymen and bomber gunners.

Oh well. Joy to the world!

Jason