[lbo-talk] Why High French Unemployment Rate?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 05:58:30 PST 2012

Another measurement related possibility is the interpretation of the "work seeking" criterion by the LFS respondents themselves. To qualify - a person must be actively looking for work - if not, that person is not considered unemployed if if without job (see http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2000/06/art1full.pdf).

So if the respondents in the US are for some reason more likely to say they have not been looking for work in the reference period (usually 4 weeks) than respondents in EU, the US is bound to have lower unemployment rate than EU even if the same share of the economically active population is without work, and even if LFS are accurate in both cases.

Wojtek