[lbo-talk] A view from the left on gun control

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 04:56:27 PST 2012

On 2012-12-26, at 11:23 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> Marv asks:
>
>> Do you endorse the campaign for further gun control
>> measures expressed by, among others, Chomsky, Ames,
>> Lenin's Tomb, other radicals and liberals, as well
>> the majority of blacks and hispanics polled in the
>> most recent Pew survey?
>
> I don't know what those entail, and unlike you, I do not sign on support to things that are underspecified. I will say that I repeat that I do not think Ames is suggesting more at this time than that the conversation itself is part of a bigger problem, unrelated to guns. This is the only part of the posting that Doug referenced which I find compelling to consider, and I believe that you have misunderstood it gravely, even though you've now quoted from it twice.
>
> If forced, perhaps at gun point by you (I kid!), to answer yes or no, I'd have to say no. I hope that's useful to you.
>
> The rest, deleted.

Good. I'm glad we're finally winding this down. I'm sleep deprived, and was at this point prepared to confess to anything to end the torture. Although I would have quite happily written in large capital letters that IT IS NOT ONLY OR EVEN PRIMARILY GUNS, BUT CAPITALIST INEQUALITY, POVERTY, AND ALIENATION WHICH ARE ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE FOR CRIME AND VIOLENCE; THE UBIQUITY OF GUNS COMPOUNDS THE PROBLEM. Really, Jordan, did you think this truism was at issue in the discussion? I tried to correct that misimpression earlier. I hope we can now make nice, and apologies to the rest of the list for this interminable exchange.