[lbo-talk] Locke and unload: Why the NRA doesn't understand rights

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 09:45:23 PST 2012

On 2012-12-27, at 11:44 AM, c b wrote:

> It's the exact inability of guns to secure our freedom that
> establishes the foundation for our civil government.
>
> http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/12/20121226104857715225.html
>
> ^^^^
> CB: John Locke ? Politics makes strange bedfellows, comrade. giggles

Whether or not it succeeds in its objectives, the campaign for gun control has already shone a light on the subsidies showered on the small arms industry by the federal and state governments, and has focused public attention as never before on the NRA's role in manipulating the political system - among other things, in order to suppress research into the relationship between gun ownership and the homicide rate.

See, for example:

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2012/12/lawmakers-call-for-stricter-gun-control-even-as-they-subsidize-gun-industry.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NakedCapitalism+%28naked+capitalism%29

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1487470#ref-jvp120140-5