[lbo-talk] A Christmas Card

Alfredo Giannantonio alfredqq at ymail.com
Fri Dec 28 14:01:57 PST 2012

I am on the mailing list and I am writing from Italy. If there are any books or articles about the Italian community in Colorado, I would be grateful for references -- I study Italian emigration to western USA.

Many thanks, Alfred Giannantonio Parma (Italy), 28th Dec 2012

----- Messaggio originale ----- Da: Chuck Grimes <cagrimes42 at gmail.com> A: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Cc: Inviato: Venerdì 28 Dicembre 2012 20:47 Oggetto: Re: [lbo-talk] A Christmas Card

``I remember the picnics he and the other Italians celebrated near the town where I was born. The men played a game with their hands. I think it is called morra. They would shout out a number as they threw out zero to five fingers with their right hands. You won if you got the total fingers thrown out by all the players correc! t. Undici. Sei. Dieci. I can still hear the sounds. To paraphrase Carl Sandburg, "The workers yes." I'll have to get that book, Chuck. Have you ever been to the monument commemorating the miners and families murdered in the Ludlow Massacre in Ludlow, CO? It is a moving place to visit.'' Michael Yates -----------------

No. Sad to say.

I am not sure you can get this book. But the game you descripe was called Bocca in Colorado. It was something about fingers, something like gambling. According to Lou, the old men played it endlessly drinking home made wine, smoking, and arguing.