[lbo-talk] Value of the dollar

Nathan n.crazeddoberman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 08:07:14 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 10:18:13AM -0500, // ravi wrote:
> > Not exactly, at least the writing part of it. You write a book, it's finished. It goes out in the world and people react. It has some staying power (which is why the CIA used to subsidize the things). A blog post lasts 5 minutes.
> >

> Yes, if your blog happens to be
>“myteenramblingswheretheuniverserevolvesaroundme.blogspot.com”...
>
>There is so much baggage attached (by curmudgeons :-)) to every new
>technology: blogging, Facebook, Twitter, etc. But while all of these
>criticisms are expressed as criticisms of the technology, they are
>almost always criticisms of the people using them and the way they are
>using them.
>
> Second, so what if the post only lives 5 days? It still goes out in
>the world and people still do react. That’s still worth something!
>
> I am sure the CIA is subsidising more than one blog today :-).
>
> —ravi

You are right about the criticisms being of the people using them more than the technology--after all, if twitter did something useful like text message me a weather report i'd be less annoyed by it.

But I think that most web publishing technologies are fairly emphereal, but more than that, just of really questionable value to the people using them. If a post only lives for five days and you only have a few responses--why bother? The amount of time committed to doing web stuff, compared to the amount of response, can seem taxing in my opinion.

I remember seeing funding figures on psyops-type bloggery, and may be completely wrong here but was surprised how little was being spent. Then again, if you're going to pay someone to sit around in their pajamas making up crap that a bunch of yokels already make up for free, you probably don't cut them a huge paycheck.

-- Nathan