[lbo-talk] Greece says Goodbye to Democracy

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 11:35:19 PST 2012

Marv: "expansion of the service and public sectors"

[WS:] This is a minor quibble, but your assertion of the 'service sector expansion" is moot. Comparing to what? If you go back in time, say, 200 years you will find a vast army of domestic servants and other workers serving the rich which probably outnumbers those employed in the industry. Furthermore, look into the corporate reorganization that spins off different function to supposedly "independent" firms. Before that reorganization, a janitor working for say, an automobile manufacturer was being counted as an "autoworker" based on the industry of the establishment that employed him. However, when janitorial services are being spun off to, say, avoid paying union wages, the same janitor is being counted as a service workers, again based on the industry of the establishment that employs him.

Based on this, I think that the claims of expansion of the service sector needs to be at least scaled down.

But more to the point - what is less questionable is the expansion of technical-managerial occupations. For example a quick look at the ILO occupational stats for the US shows that in 1970 professional, technical, administrative occupations represented 24.7% of the labor force - while in 2002 - 34.5%. That is a huge increase of the "technostructure" in 30 years. It would be absurd to believe that these folks - more than a third of the labor force - would embrace any "workerist" ideology, let alone the more radical varieties such as those promoted by the IWW http://www.iww.org/.

Then you have clerical and sales worker accounting for 23.5% of the lf in 1970 and 25.2% in 2002 - and you will end up with about 60% of the labor force that are unlikely to identify themselves as the "working class" regardless of what Marxists say. That may not be true for some clerical or retail employees but these are nonetheless non-manual occupations that are closer in status to managerial position than to "blue collar" positions. I think this offers the empirical evidence of the changing nature of the labor force that you asked for, you can get stats for other countries here http://laborsta.ilo.org/STP/guest.

There is of course, the question of subjective identifications, perceptions and most importantly ideological affinities which is far more fuzzy than occupational statistics. It is difficult to show statistics showing ideological affinities - which is the second part of my argument. Most what we can do is to quote personal observations, anecdotal evidence, and references to different literature. Mine is based on Hofstadter "The American Political Tradition" arguing general acceptance of the capitalist value in the American society and Harvey "A brief history of neoliberalism" showing affinity of neoliberal ideology to the US left.

I am pretty sure that you will find books or polls showing otherwise - but let's ask ourselves which of these two competing visions are most consistent with the political reality that we see around us? Why is it that any left political candidate gets almost no popular support? Even Eugene Debs in the heyday of labor organizing got less than 3% of the votes. Why is that the support for communists and radical left in Europe - which have fair more favorable political system than the US - is still in single digits?

Surely we can explain that by some conspiratorial conjecture that people are being manipulated or otherwise duped and bamboozled by the ruling elites, but I do not buy it. I do not think people are that stupid or have any sort of "false consciousness" (false comparing to what, that of true believers? - gimme a break.) People generally know what they want, they support what appeals to them and what speaks to their views, and the ideas and views of the old left are not among them. We may not like their choices, but that is not the reason to deny the facts. One should instead try to explain why people make such choices, and my argument about the growing technostructure and their "elective affinity" to neoliberalism is one such an attempt of explanation that does not rest on a moral judgement or belief what constitutes "true" working class and "true consciousness."

Wojtek