[lbo-talk] Some Comforting Words from Rosa L.

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Feb 1 12:27:10 PST 2012

And clearly the reader must take for granted his materialism, a necessary premise to _begin_ the construal of such words as "messianic" and "redemption."

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Dennis Redmond Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 1:51 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Some Comforting Words from Rosa L.

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Marv Gandall <marvgand at gmail.com> wrote:

> , but AN's enthusiasm for Adorno's "poetic" invocation of the healing
power of "redemption"
> and "messianic light"

Adorno is an intensely poetic writer. Almost impossible to convey in English, though I've tried to at least suggest it in my far-from-perfect translations. His sentences are never stodgy or snobby. They have this spell-binding simplicity, combined with brain-boggling complexity.